Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi have listed their Santa Barbara home for sale. The couple is asking $45 million for the property, which is comprised of three parcels purchased in two 2013 transactions totaling $28.8 million.
Dating to the 1930â€™s, the rustic house measures 10,500 square feet, and contains six bedrooms and eight full or partial baths. The sandstone and raw timber home features a rambling layout around a center courtyard.
Itâ€™s a substantial look, and it doesnâ€™t ever pass into the vague indecision of many higher end period residences that have been renovated; it achieves a strong sense of authenticity by never really appearing to question its identity. Modernizations and elements of cross-cultural layering are nicely incorporated, and do not topple the composition.
DeGeneres has suggested that the house seems to be an expression of its landscape, and thatâ€™s pretty accurate. It doesnâ€™t impose, and it does not dominate; a neat trick for a home built from rusticated stone. And, even though the home is the product of a very assertive European design aesthetic located in Southern California, it doesnâ€™t feel contrived. Part of that effect is the countryside of Montecito, which perhaps more than any other SoCal locale resembles the Riviera.
The house features nine fireplaces, libraries and reading rooms. Ceilings are vaulted, sometimes open trussed, and floors are generally tile or stone. Windows and French doors are pleasingly plain, steel-framed affairs, and do not distract from the overall style. The overall look is heavy-handed, packed to bursting with charming detail, but it never comes off as ponderous. Frequently, skylights lend a little liberation to the proceedings, and balance things out nicely with a dash of the ethereal.
The nearly seventeen acres of grounds are filled with gardens and quiet alcoves. An additional pavilion structure was constructed by the couple, and features a wet bar and catering kitchen, and entertaining space under a high vaulted ceiling.
DeGeneresâ€”a legendarily restless house-hunterâ€”and spouse de Rossi have owned several homes in their time together: buying, renovating and selling. The coupleâ€™s latest real-estate acquisition may lead them to Australia, de Rossiâ€™s home country.
- Wall Street Journal: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Onetime Neverland Lists for $100 Million
- AP: NEVERLAND, FORMER HOME OF MICHAEL JACKSON, ON SALE FOR $100M
- BBC: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch up for sale
- Bloomberg: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch on the Market for $100 Million
- Forbes: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Is Officially For Sale For A Cool $100 Million
- NBC News: Michael Jackson Estate Neverland Up for Sale for $100 Million
- Rolling Stone: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Lists for $100 Million
- CNBC: Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on sale for $100M
- The Washington Post: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch put up for sale
- Today: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch goes up for sale for $100 million
- Business Insider: Michael Jackson’s restored Neverland Ranch has hit the market for $100
- Daily Mail: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch is up for sale for an astonishing $100m
- Artnet: Sotheby’s Puts $100 Million Price Tag On Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch
- Huffington Post UK: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Goes Up For Sale, Six Years After Singer’s Death
- AOL UK: Jackson’s Neverland on sale for ÂŁ65m
- London Evening Standard: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch on the market for ÂŁ62m
- International Business Times: Neverland Ranch Cost And Photos 2015: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Former Home Lists For $100M
- Santa Barbara Independent: Neverland Ranch Going on the Market for $100 Million
- The Real Deal: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland ranch hits market for $100M
- The Week: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch could be yours for the low, low price of $100 million
- The Week UK: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch goes on sale for $100m
- Wealth-X: Michael Jackson’s Estate Up For Sale For US $100 Million
- Vogue:Â Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch Is Up for Sale
- CNN:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch on the market
- ABC News / Good Morning America:Â Michael Jackson’s ‘Neverland’ Hits Market With New Name
- ABC News:Â Inside Look at Michael Jackson’s ‘Neverland Ranchâ€™
- Fox News:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch for sale for $100 million
- Entertainment Weekly:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch: By the numbers
- Huffington Post:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Hits The Market For $100 Million
- Extra:Â How Much Will It Cost You to Buy Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch?
- San Francisco Chronicle:Â Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch on sale for $100 million
- Mansion Global: Nine Figures and Counting
SYCAMORE VALLEY RANCH LISTED BY SOTHEBY’S INTERNATIONAL REALTY
Los Olivos, California
Style: French Normandy-Style
Square Footage: 12,598Â± sq.ft.
Year Built: 1982
Main Home: Bedrooms/Baths:Â Â 6Â / 7 full, 2 powder
Lot Size: Â 2,698Â± Acres
Architect: Robert Altevers
Sycamore Valley Ranch is the ultimate ranch retreat and gated estate of approx. 2,698 acres located 5 miles north of the town of Los Olivos. The main residence of approximately 12,598 sq. ft. offers six-bedrooms, including a large first floor master suite with a private loft and two master baths. The home was designed by Robert Altevers for William Bone in a French Normandy-style and meticulously crafted to perfection in 1982.Â The home is nestled between extensively landscaped gardens and a four-acre lake complete with a waterfall, incredible pastoral views to the south and majestic mountain views to the north.Â An expansive covered outdoor barbeque area is perfect for entertaining and is located adjacent to the inviting pool and nearby pool house and tennis court.Â There are multiple structures on the property including three separate guest homes, a 5,500 sq.ft. movie theater with stage, several barns, animal shelter facilities, corrals and a maintenance shop.Â
Call Harry Kolb at 805-452-2500 for further information.