Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi have listed their Santa Barbara home for sale. The couple is asking $45 million for the property, which is comprised of three parcels purchased in two 2013 transactions totaling $28.8 million.
Dating to the 1930â€™s, the rustic house measures 10,500 square feet, and contains six bedrooms and eight full or partial baths. The sandstone and raw timber home features a rambling layout around a center courtyard.
Itâ€™s a substantial look, and it doesnâ€™t ever pass into the vague indecision of many higher end period residences that have been renovated; it achieves a strong sense of authenticity by never really appearing to question its identity. Modernizations and elements of cross-cultural layering are nicely incorporated, and do not topple the composition.
DeGeneres has suggested that the house seems to be an expression of its landscape, and thatâ€™s pretty accurate. It doesnâ€™t impose, and it does not dominate; a neat trick for a home built from rusticated stone. And, even though the home is the product of a very assertive European design aesthetic located in Southern California, it doesnâ€™t feel contrived. Part of that effect is the countryside of Montecito, which perhaps more than any other SoCal locale resembles the Riviera.
The house features nine fireplaces, libraries and reading rooms. Ceilings are vaulted, sometimes open trussed, and floors are generally tile or stone. Windows and French doors are pleasingly plain, steel-framed affairs, and do not distract from the overall style. The overall look is heavy-handed, packed to bursting with charming detail, but it never comes off as ponderous. Frequently, skylights lend a little liberation to the proceedings, and balance things out nicely with a dash of the ethereal.
The nearly seventeen acres of grounds are filled with gardens and quiet alcoves. An additional pavilion structure was constructed by the couple, and features a wet bar and catering kitchen, and entertaining space under a high vaulted ceiling.
DeGeneresâ€”a legendarily restless house-hunterâ€”and spouse de Rossi have owned several homes in their time together: buying, renovating and selling. The coupleâ€™s latest real-estate acquisition may lead them to Australia, de Rossiâ€™s home country.
- Wall Street Journal: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Onetime Neverland Lists for $100 Million
- AP: NEVERLAND, FORMER HOME OF MICHAEL JACKSON, ON SALE FOR $100M
- BBC: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch up for sale
- Bloomberg: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch on the Market for $100 Million
- Forbes: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Is Officially For Sale For A Cool $100 Million
- NBC News: Michael Jackson Estate Neverland Up for Sale for $100 Million
- Rolling Stone: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Lists for $100 Million
- CNBC: Neverland, former home of Michael Jackson, on sale for $100M
- The Washington Post: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch put up for sale
- Today: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch goes up for sale for $100 million
- Business Insider: Michael Jackson’s restored Neverland Ranch has hit the market for $100
- Daily Mail: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch is up for sale for an astonishing $100m
- Artnet: Sotheby’s Puts $100 Million Price Tag On Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch
- Huffington Post UK: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Goes Up For Sale, Six Years After Singer’s Death
- AOL UK: Jackson’s Neverland on sale for ÂŁ65m
- London Evening Standard: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch on the market for ÂŁ62m
- International Business Times: Neverland Ranch Cost And Photos 2015: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Former Home Lists For $100M
- Santa Barbara Independent: Neverland Ranch Going on the Market for $100 Million
- The Real Deal: Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland ranch hits market for $100M
- The Week: Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch could be yours for the low, low price of $100 million
- The Week UK: Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch goes on sale for $100m
- Wealth-X: Michael Jackson’s Estate Up For Sale For US $100 Million
- Vogue:Â Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch Is Up for Sale
- CNN:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland ranch on the market
- ABC News / Good Morning America:Â Michael Jackson’s ‘Neverland’ Hits Market With New Name
- ABC News:Â Inside Look at Michael Jackson’s ‘Neverland Ranchâ€™
- Fox News:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch for sale for $100 million
- Entertainment Weekly:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch: By the numbers
- Huffington Post:Â Michael Jackson’s Neverland Ranch Hits The Market For $100 Million
- Extra:Â How Much Will It Cost You to Buy Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch?
- San Francisco Chronicle:Â Michael Jacksonâ€™s Neverland Ranch on sale for $100 million
- Mansion Global: Nine Figures and Counting
SYCAMORE VALLEY RANCH LISTED BY SOTHEBY’S INTERNATIONAL REALTY
Los Olivos, California
Style: French Normandy-Style
Square Footage: 12,598Â± sq.ft.
Year Built: 1982
Main Home: Bedrooms/Baths:Â Â 6Â / 7 full, 2 powder
Lot Size: Â 2,698Â± Acres
Architect: Robert Altevers
Sycamore Valley Ranch is the ultimate ranch retreat and gated estate of approx. 2,698 acres located 5 miles north of the town of Los Olivos. The main residence of approximately 12,598 sq. ft. offers six-bedrooms, including a large first floor master suite with a private loft and two master baths. The home was designed by Robert Altevers for William Bone in a French Normandy-style and meticulously crafted to perfection in 1982.Â The home is nestled between extensively landscaped gardens and a four-acre lake complete with a waterfall, incredible pastoral views to the south and majestic mountain views to the north.Â An expansive covered outdoor barbeque area is perfect for entertaining and is located adjacent to the inviting pool and nearby pool house and tennis court.Â There are multiple structures on the property including three separate guest homes, a 5,500 sq.ft. movie theater with stage, several barns, animal shelter facilities, corrals and a maintenance shop.Â
Call Harry Kolb at 805-452-2500 for further information.
A Large Montecito Estate Lists For $125 Million – Wall Street Journal
pub on its grounds goes on the market for an eye-watering $125 Million – The Daily Mail
Santa Barbara Estate – PR Newswire
Equestrian estate in Montecito asking $125 million – LA Times Hot Property
“http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-montecito-estate-20140905-story.html?track=rss” target=”_blank”>Equestrian estate in Montecito asking $125 million – LA Times Hot Property
California estate hits the market for $125M â€“ The Real Deal
California estate with equestrian facilities on market for $US125 million â€“ Horsetalk.co.nz
Gorgeous 237-Acre Estate Just Casually Listed for $125M â€“ Curbed National
9/5/14 – HOUSE OF THE DAY: A 237-Acre California Estate With A Secret Underground Pub Is On The Market For $125 Million â€“ Houston Chronicle
The magnificent Rancho San Carlos, a 237 acre estate property that for nearly 100 years has been under the ownership of one family. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to acquire a unique property of unprecedented grand scale, exceptional architecture, and prestigious historical significance. The sprawling hilltop Monterey Colonial manor was designed by noted architect Reginald Johnson in 1931 with an approx. 29,483 sq. ft. exquisite main residence comprised of over thirty rooms. Infused with an atmosphere of sophistication and refinement, the grand home is astutely sited on two natural terraces, and by planning the formal living rooms around a central courtyard and placing the Master and family bedroom wings on the upper terrace, he effectively created a spatial separation that afforded privacy, calm and exceptional views.Â Additional features include 10 residential cottages, an office, producing orchards, and extensive equestrian facilities.
Among all the Montecito significant properties currently available, this home offers a unique family oriented floor plan and a lifestyle and amenities perfectly suited for an active family. The property faces southeast, taking its name from unobstructed views of the first rays of sunrise and moonrise. Situated on approximately 2.3 acres in a prime Montecito location, this completely private enclave is surrounded by mature oaks offering panoramic ocean and MontecitoValley views, yet has no other homes in sight. A unique and valuable combination of wide open vistas coupled with complete privacy. Solid wood and iron gates open directly to the spacious motor-court and the main home’s stately, yet inviting, facade.
Inside and out, famed designer Robert Webb has captured the ambiance of a Tuscan country Villa. Hand-chiseled Santa Barbara sandstone, quarried from these very grounds, form the walls, posts, and facades, complemented by imported French limestone on the pillars, window surrounds, and chimneys. The interior boasts travertine marble and distressed wood floors, as well as exquisite decorative painting by the Elisa Stancil Studios of San Francisco. These subtle designs on the walls and ceilings infuse the entire home with a centuries-old ambience. At every turn, large windows capture vistas that could inspire paintings of their own.
From the arched two-story entry with coffered wood ceiling, your eye is drawn directly across the foyer to the wrought iron doors of the rear terrace and their breathtaking views to the pool and ocean beyond. Approximately 11,440 square feet under roof, the main residence (8,425 square feet) includes five bedrooms, six full baths, two powder rooms, and five fireplaces. There are also two garages with space for six automobiles; a one-bedroom guest house and a pool house with kitchen and bath. Technologically, the property excels with a Vantage lighting system, an Audio Access PX700 system, a telephone system with up to seven lines, and Internet access throughout.
On the grounds, the soothing sights and sounds of water emanate from a magnificent stone fountain in the motor court to a recirculating stream and three large ponds with native plantings, lotus blossoms, and goldfish. The impeccable landscaping extends to a rose garden and lush lawns around the 65-foot pool and luxurious pool house. A Seven-hole putting green under the oaks enjoys ocean views by day and dramatic lighting by night. Tucked away off the Family Room, the magical creation of “Kidsâ€™ World” offers a 310-square-foot, two-story cottage, play area, and whimsical gardens with showers designed as sunflowers.
Grand and sophisticated, yet tempered by extraordinary comfort and family livability, this Montecito estate embodies a world-class lifestyle that is second to none.
Call Harry Kolb at 805.452.2500 for more information.